- Determine from which email address the newsletter will be sent (and who will receive replies).
- Set up a dedicated email address used for Bounce Handling (retours@..., bounces@...).
Elastic Email (EE)
- Create a new EE account (use the link provided by MailPoet for extra credits)
- Charge the account with some cash (*EE defaults to 100$, but you can change it to any amount, like 5$)
- Check this link to see what SPF/DKIM info you need to enter.
- Go into your hosting admin, into the DNS settings.
- Set up a TXT record for SPF. Start by testing if some SPF already exists.
- Set up a TXT record for DKIM.
- Set up a CNAME for the tracking domain (tracking.yourdomain.com)
- If your hosting admin panel doesn't allow that, send a request to your hosting provider.
- Back into the EE panel – verify SPF, DKIM and Tracking server.
- Enter bounce email.
- Install and activate MP plugin.
- Add domain to MP user account, activate, install the Pro Extensions.
- Enter SMTP Configuration (username/password provided by EE) - SMTP: smtp.elasticemail.com / Port: 2525
- Test the configuration by sending an email to yourself.
- Set the sending rate. Default is 200/hr. For big lists, you can increase it to 500 / 15 min.
- Define the sender Name / Address at the following locations:
- Basics > Email notifications
- Basics > Sender of notifications
- Settings > Advanced : Reply-to name & email
- Create Subscription form
- Enter newsletter footer info (physical address), under Settings > Basics.
- Upload custom newsletter theme.
- Delete the default MP newsletter theme.
- Test again by sending yourself a newsletter.
- If the tracking links are still pointing to api.elasticemail.com, complain to EE support.
- Import subscribers list.
- Open the CSV in LibreOffice.
- Check that all fields are correct. Typically, you need First Name, Last Name, Email, and can delete the rest.
- Import into MP.
- Create a "Problems" list, into which bounced subscribers will be transferred.
- Go into the bounce settings.
- (* not for premium users!) Setup a Cronjob, to make sure the newsletter is triggered.
- Check if subscribing works, by subscribing through the MP form.
- Check if the Signup Confirmation page looks fine.
- Send yourself a test newsletter.
- Verify that the unsubscribe link works, and that the Unsubscribe page looks fine.
- If there are unwanted comment forms, disable them with this method: http://goo.gl/xLHP0K
Congratulations, you're done :)