The framework for turning ideas into webapps
A full stack web framework
- Manages client and server side.
- Things like Rails manage server side issues.
- Things like Ember & Angular provide front-end structure.
- Meteor helps out with both.
- It's Node + MongoDB + WebSockets + Handlebars, in a package designed to get you up and running, fast.
It's focused on realtime reactivity
- Most existing frameworks cater for the traditional model; server handles a request by sending back html, the client renders it and we all twiddle our thumbs and wait until the user interacts with the page.
- Meteor doesn't do that.
- Meteor is all about data and diffs, autosync'd and live updated. It still all ends up as angle brackets and web pages, but Meteor has grown up in a world where client side templating is a thing, and user experience matters.
Keeping it simple
- Your client gets a collection. When they add something to it, Meteor syncs the change to the server, and pushes it out to all the other connected clients.
- That's it.
- ...and that's why it's awesome.
- Your client and server code is all JS.
- The collection api is just a subset of the mongo api.
- There are just less things to keep in your brain-stack.
- And so the velociraptor of complexity is kept at bay long enough for you to crank out your ideas.
React! Respond! Deploy!
- It's fun. Try it.
- Graphs that dance in front of your eyes, maps that track in realtime, collaborative drawing boards. Formally all the domain of desktop apps and wizards.
- Even if you are smart enough to have an idea on how you'd build a twitter like website that updates as you're looking at it, it's not trivial to get going. There's a lot of choices to make and beasties to dodge.
- It is super simple to install Meteor then create and deploy your first reactive app. Look:
curl https://install.meteor.com | /bin/sh // EGADS! Running a script off the internet! // Go look at the source if you're worried. meteor create flipping-awesome-app // create a working template app meteor // runs it meteor deploy flipping-awesome // deploys it to flipping-awesome.meteor.com
WAT MOAR DO U WANT?
Proof, dammit! I want proof.
Slides, dammit! I want slides.
Oh. Ok. Sounds fun. Let's go!