Skip to content

Instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

@ontouchstart

ontouchstart/log.md Secret

Last active Jan 22, 2019
Embed
What would you like to do?
Future Text Connect 2019 Skype chat message log

Future Text Connect 2019 Skype chat message log

Steve:

Goal-oriented with concrete tasks leading up to our goal(s), is what makes sense to me, especially with what Frode said as backdrop.

K:

Forces us to converge on common ground which is good.

Marc-Antoine:

I would not want to assume that usages of knowledge are known in advance, often they are discovered afterwards

Duke:

agree: prefer to discover workflow in process

Marc-Antoine:

where I agree is that specific information routes can be useful to think about.

Steve:

I am definitely interested in using interesting new tools people are working on, FYI

Marc-Antoine:

my view: we're trying to create an ecosystem out of our tools so the purpose is to build the bridges between tools.

Steve:

Happy to provide feedback to anyone trying to change the world, always

Duke:

marc-antoine so maybe we should focus interoperable data model?

K:

That is the most realistic way of working together

Duke:

general: all want productive results

specifics: maybe

  • less show and tell more interaction
  • more LIVE connecting (not just weekly)
  • try/use each other's tools

K:

Duke maybe discord is better for that than skype

K:

Twitter not great for long form comments

Marc-Antoine:

I agree that long form is better.

Sam:

Can I have one?

Frode:

https://jrnl.global/

Marc-Antoine:

I started writing the blog post we spoke about but it's taking longer than I hoped.

Duke:

that's the prob w long form: time

Steve:

@Frode Would you mind telling us what tools people here are working on that you think would be appropriate to be further developed and demoed in November? Or perhaps multiple tools that we could show off as being integrated somehow.

Sam:

This is kind of my blog https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1sPqbKr_nDY_TWSGqeDBmt3gyqJBSzyV_ I will write something whenever I have ideas.

Timur:

https://www.knowflow.io/concept-map/150d8a4d523c4452be912ae6c03ebcbb

Duke:

emails? timur irena?

Timur:

"********"

Marc-Antoine:

ideally email them an url to something

Duke:

"********"

Marc-Antoine:

so that it lives on some web page.

Duke:

"********"

Steve:

@Frode Could you email us a list of tools that people here are working on with a paragraph from each tool-maker? If it's clearer what tools people are making and how they want to connect to other tools, I think that would help us all a lot :-)

Duke:

email easier than blog for me

Steve:

I am "********"

Marc-Antoine:

@elimisteve: A lot of this is on the jrnl blog... but we should add a tool category.

Sam:

https://colab.research.google.com/gist/ontouchstart/d59b747c76adb01eebae340ba982dfbf/late-explorer.ipynb

https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/gist/ontouchstart/d59b747c76adb01eebae340ba982dfbf

same content, three URLs

K:

the nice thing about having the content 'online' is that you can switch out your device at will and have a similar experience

Duke:

offline first doesn't preclude online

Steve:

My main thing: https://effective.af

K:

outstanding

Duke:

http://tiny.cc/gifspec

Timur:

Does anybody know how to log in to jrn.global to post there? seems that i can not really find a button or something (

Duke:

haha login sorry they make me crazy

Steve:

https://github.com/zadam/trilium

K:

"********"

Call ended

Steve:

Thanks!

Marc-Antoine:

https://gitlab.com/conversence/hyperknowledge and http://idealoom.org/ (2 projects)

Timur:

you can find red button on knowflow.io to login or just go here https://www.knowflow.io/user/login

Marc-Antoine:

I imported some of the jrnl posts in idealoom: https://idealoom.conversence.com/knowledge_federation

Knowledge Federation for Doug50 https://idealoom.conversence.com

do ask for an account if you don't have one.

K:

KnowFlow isn't really doing it for me so I will just share my work here through a pdf presentation for now. If anyone is collecting all our ideas in one place you are free to upload it elsewhere.

Three things need to be done before next meeting on 1/22.

@KnowledgeGarden

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@KnowledgeGarden KnowledgeGarden commented Jan 17, 2019

https://github.com/KnowledgeGarden/tqks-featherweight-prototype is now in heavy evolution to add a topicmap, include hypothes.is, and other features. We expect to install two instances in a SaaS container as k-hubs for biomedical/health research. It's on the agenda to work with Marc-Antoine to add his federation protocols and begin federating.
A slowly growing developer's guide is here

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 17, 2019

https://github.com/KnowledgeGarden/tqks-featherweight-prototype is now in heavy evolution to add a topicmap, include hypothes.is, and other features. We expect to install two instances in a SaaS container as k-hubs for biomedical/health research. It's on the agenda to work with Marc-Antoine to add his federation protocols and begin federating.
A slowly growing developer's guide is here

Great! Is it possible to put the developer’s guide in the repo as a markdown doc? Just a thought.

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 17, 2019

@KnowledgeGarden I did a test of your repo, it seems to work. Great!

screen shot 2019-01-17 at 1 45 15 pm

I forked it and added docker-compose so that I can play with one line on my machine

docker-compose up

Since I am just playing with it, I am not going to mess up with your development by submitting a pull request though.

Keep up the good work!

@KnowledgeGarden

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@KnowledgeGarden KnowledgeGarden commented Jan 18, 2019

@ontouchstart When the dev manual is closer to complete, it might migrate to GitBook or just become an exported Word/PDF/whatever in the repo. Thanks for playing with FeatherWeight. If you examine the repo, there are a couple of active branches which are adding features; a topicmap app, email for registration confirmation and forgot password, and a mongodb backside.

@elog08

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

@elog08 elog08 commented Jan 18, 2019

@KnowledgeGarden I did a test of your repo, it seems to work. Great!

screen shot 2019-01-17 at 1 45 15 pm

I forked it and added docker-compose so that I can play with one line on my machine

docker-compose up

Since I am just playing with it, I am not going to mess up with your development by submitting a pull request though.

Keep up the good work!

Feel free to PR a docker-compose file. Thanks

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 18, 2019

@elog08 Thanks. Just did it.

@KnowledgeGarden Thanks. The reason that I am suggesting to put dev manual in the repo is that I am more interested in the development process than the actual content of your project, since this gist (and Future Text Connect 2019 itself) is about how to collaborate.

For documentation development, traditionally people are used to working on documentation in word processors (whatever tools they pick) outside the code base. It is their comfort zone where they can focus on non implementation issues. We tend to keep the source of documentation separate from the version control of the system itself. It works well for a project with a long design and development cycle where the developers and users immersed in the system long enough to have the contexts internalized. But it is a barrier to people who are not familiar with the history and complexity of the project. The base way to learn a new system is to follow the source and version control history.

A new trend in software development is to have the documentation source accessible to users via links to the repo. Here is an example:

Perhaps your project can consider similar practice.

Just a thought.

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 22, 2019

Skype Log

Sam

I am going to write my blog entries in github gist. Here is an example:

https://gist.github.com/ontouchstart/dc9d828edea63ad34ae6a6cdb2895e77

welcome to comment on it. Thanks!

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 22, 2019

Skype Log

Steve

When it comes to next-gen text editing, I need to check out https://quilljs.com/ and https://www.notion.so/ , which I just learned about via https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vv7xx4/the-future-of-the-worlds-most-boring-software-the-word-processor , which in turn I was linked to by something on liquid.info IIRC

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 22, 2019

Skype Log

Duke

http://hypertextarea.com/fot.html could possibly demo today but preferably next week or later ((to insure that Mantas who built it gets live feedback loop))

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 22, 2019

Skype Log

Steve

My write-up answering the 3 questions Frode posed at the end of our last meeting, roughly: "What are we [individually] working on?", "How do we want to collaborate?", and "What do we want to achieve?" https://tryingtobeawesome.com/futureoftext/

@ontouchstart

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Owner Author

@ontouchstart ontouchstart commented Jan 22, 2019

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
You can’t perform that action at this time.