secret
Created

Hooks events irc log

  • Download Gist
gistfile1.txt
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
(20:45:10) nn-: btw, did you read my posts in hooks rfc?
(20:46:02) naderman: yeah
(20:46:21) naderman: didn't see anything I would need to reply to?
(20:46:26) naderman: or did I forget something?
(20:46:42) naderman: there's the stuff we need to add to extension finder
(20:46:45) naderman: did you want me to do that?
(20:47:05) naderman: hmm looking at it again
(20:47:09) naderman: there were a bunch of questions
(20:47:18) naderman: I guess I just didn't have any immediate answers and moved on
(20:47:19) naderman: sorry :P
(20:47:47) ***nn- applies slappage to naderman
(20:48:05) nn-: and then you blasted my wip pull reqeust
(20:48:06) naderman: ckwalsh: hey
(20:48:07) A_Jelly_Donut: apple slappage? <3
(20:48:14) naderman: nn-: yeah but I already said sorry for that
(20:48:26) naderman: nn-: I was just confused by there being a run_hooks function in the WIP PR
(20:48:31) naderman: I expected it to be template stuff only
(20:48:37) naderman: but understood later ;-)
(20:48:49) naderman: A_Jelly_Donut: ?
(20:49:11) nn-: i'm not sure it makes sense to merge just the template stuff, but if you/anyone thinks this makes sense i will probably make it happen
(20:49:23) A_Jelly_Donut: meh, misread what Oleg wrote
(20:49:29) naderman: nn-: yeah I'd keep those two separate
(20:49:45) naderman: well unless you expect them to have any functionality in common?
(20:49:52) naderman: hmm I guess you're right
(20:49:53) nn-: that's tbd
(20:49:57) naderman: nevermind, keep them in one
(20:49:58) naderman: yeah
(20:49:59) nn-: not sure where the hooks will go actually
(20:50:06) nn-: global function seems like not the best of ideas
(20:50:10) naderman: nope
(20:50:24) nn-: some kind of a hook manager?
(20:50:35) naderman: I would do /ext/foo/hook/bar_hook.php
(20:51:03) naderman: which defines some bar hook class with hook methods
(20:51:13) naderman: allows you to ship multiple of those classes with one extensions if necessary
(20:51:17) nn-: i'm talking about the code that executes hooks
(20:51:21) naderman: ohhh
(20:51:22) naderman: sorry
(20:51:27) nn-: do we have a term for that?
(20:51:33) nn-: you're talking about ledges
(20:51:36) nn-: actually no
(20:51:40) nn-: you're talking about hooks
(20:51:42) nn-: ledges are locations
(20:51:55) naderman: ledge -> (hook handler?) -> hook
(20:52:11) naderman: or manager or something
(20:52:54) naderman: actually thinking about this more, I'm not sure ledge makes that much sense
(20:53:13) naderman: ah yes it does
(20:53:20) naderman: well event makes more sense
(20:53:27) naderman: I mean this is event handling afterall
(20:53:51) naderman: $hook_manager->trigger(new PostEvent($post_data, ...));
(20:54:06) naderman: I would really prefer if we had some kind of event object
(20:54:40) naderman: so you can use it both for return values (even multiple values) and to control flow
(20:54:50) naderman: like jquery events
(20:54:51) nn-: hmm
(20:55:12) nn-: obviously we have no exception handling (ha!)
(20:55:14) naderman: like $event->stopPropagation()
(20:55:34) naderman: nn-: how do you mean?
(20:55:38) nn-: my poc v1 used references for parameters to support modification
(20:55:43) naderman: yeah I know
(20:55:49) nn-: i'm currently thinking for hooks to accept and return a hash
(20:55:53) naderman: but I'd rather stick them all into a specialised event object
(20:56:07) naderman: I'd really rather do this the OOP way
(20:56:27) naderman: certainly improves documentation a lot
(20:56:34) naderman: it's very clear what data a particular event provides
(20:56:37) naderman: and which data you can set
(20:56:42) naderman: with an array that's rather magic
(20:58:43) naderman: nn-: what do you think about the event way?
(20:58:59) nn-: the whole idea of hooks poc and hooks v2 is to not over-engineer them
(20:59:23) nn-: so i guess i might be moving in that direction but so far i have not seen a need to abort hook chain
(20:59:42) nn-: right now i have no use case for events
(20:59:47) naderman: how do you handle return values then?
(20:59:54) naderman: well my main point for events is
(20:59:56) nn-: hook accepts and returns an array
(21:00:00) nn-: possibly modifying it
(21:00:10) naderman: yes all I'm asking is that that array be an object
(21:00:16) naderman: so it's not arbitrary what keys that array contains
(21:00:21) naderman: but well defined somewhere
(21:00:32) nn-: right now keys are up to the ledge
(21:00:51) naderman: yes, so without looking at the code of the ledge you can't really tell what you're getting
(21:01:00) naderman: with an object you can look at the api docs of the event
(21:01:00) nn-: precisely
(21:01:03) naderman: and it'll document it
(21:01:15) nn-: problem with that we don't have objects anywhere
(21:01:20) naderman: hmm?
(21:01:26) nn-: sql is arrays
(21:01:31) nn-: db fetches are arrays
(21:01:33) naderman: I don't think you understand
(21:01:37) naderman: yes sure
(21:01:45) naderman: you just stick that array or whatever into the event
(21:01:55) nn-: i understand
(21:02:04) naderman: e.g. $event->getRetrievePostSql();
(21:02:08) naderman: or some such
(21:02:12) nn-: and i'm not saying it's bad, but i am saying right now i am not seeing modifications that need this
(21:02:15) naderman: typically events will have more than one value
(21:02:27) naderman: this is not about modifications _needing_ this
(21:02:34) naderman: it's about making modifications easier to write?
(21:02:51) naderman: because you don't rely on some undefined random array
(21:03:02) naderman: that might change from version to version without being properly documented in the api reference
(21:03:17) nn-: consider a modify_sql_for_XXX hook
(21:03:24) nn-: what do you suppose it might receive?
(21:03:37) nn-: do you get anything by stuffing that into a wrapper object?
(21:03:47) naderman: let's take an example from the hook location request forum
(21:03:59) naderman: cause I think most suggestions there needed multiple values
(21:04:27) naderman: like
(21:04:27) naderman: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=33714
(21:04:38) naderman: Input arguments: $page_title, $display_online_list, $item_id, $item
(21:04:44) naderman: would certainly help if that was
(21:04:50) naderman: $event->get_page_title()
(21:04:55) naderman: $event->get_item_id()
(21:04:56) naderman: ...
(21:04:58) naderman: rather than
(21:05:02) naderman: $event['page_title']
(21:05:07) naderman: simply because the latter has no docs
(21:05:09) naderman: the former does
(21:06:03) naderman: nn-: you understand what I mean?
(21:06:26) nn-: ok
(21:06:47) naderman: and then you can also restrict set_...() to values that are actually going to be used later on
(21:06:57) nn-: but
(21:06:58) naderman: so if you want to allow modification of the page_title
(21:07:03) nn-: now you'll need to define objects for each ledge
(21:07:04) naderman: the event can have a set_page_title() method
(21:07:07) naderman: yes
(21:07:10) naderman: it's certainly more code
(21:07:16) naderman: but it's mostly for documentation purposes
(21:07:21) naderman: we would have to write all of that down anyway
(21:07:34) nn-: this is going to be pretty slow i fear
(21:07:45) naderman: you mean execution wise or development wise?
(21:07:51) nn-: not that we tend to care about performance and especially trade it for features
(21:07:55) nn-: execution
(21:07:56) naderman: I wouldn't worry about execution time of this at all
(21:08:03) naderman: creating some object really doesn't cost any time
(21:08:19) naderman: I mean whether you create an object or an array makes a tiny difference at best
(21:08:29) naderman: only thing we could worry about is the extra memory for loading those classes
(21:08:33) naderman: but that won't be hundreds
(21:08:41) naderman: so even that will be little performance difference
(21:09:23) naderman: we could even write the whole thing so that there is a check for the existance of any hooks for that ledge
(21:09:29) naderman: and only create the event object if there are hooks at all
(21:09:36) naderman: so typically you'd write something like
(21:10:42) naderman: if ($hook_handler->has('foobar'))
(21:10:42) naderman: {
(21:10:42) naderman: $event = new PageHeaderEvent($page_title, $item_id);
(21:10:42) naderman: $hook_handler->trigger('foobar', $event);
(21:10:42) naderman: $page_title = $event->get_page_title();
(21:10:42) naderman: }
(21:11:14) naderman: well phpbb_event_page_header for the class name I guess
(21:11:16) nn-: holy loc count batman
(21:11:19) naderman: yeah
(21:11:32) naderman: nn-: you can put it in one line
(21:11:36) naderman: unless you need the return value
(21:11:38) nn-: please no
(21:11:42) naderman: even with the array you will get this
(21:11:45) nn-: that's even worse
(21:11:51) naderman: no you don't understand
(21:12:03) naderman: $hook_handler->trigger('foobar', new PageHeaderEvent($page_title, $item_id););
(21:12:08) nn-: with an array i don't get this if i use an array that is already built
(21:12:20) naderman: how likely is that?
(21:12:21) nn-: $array = hook('foo', $array);
(21:12:21) naderman: o_O
(21:12:27) naderman: yeah that will like never happen
(21:12:36) naderman: again as I said look at all the requests
(21:12:41) naderman: you nearly always need multiple variables
(21:12:47) nn-: i don't look at the requests
(21:12:47) naderman: so you will always have to construct that array as well
(21:12:49) nn-: i look at the mods
(21:12:59) naderman: the requests are from MOD authors based on what they need
(21:13:01) nn-: which may be wrong
(21:13:14) nn-: ^ me looking at mods
(21:13:17) nn-: but that's the current idea
(21:13:19) naderman: again the loc with array/object will be pretty much the same
(21:13:34) naderman: except from the classes we will need to define
(21:13:44) naderman: which again is mostly documentation which we'll have to write otherwise too
(21:13:47) nn-: well, ok
(21:13:48) naderman: just won't be tied to the code
(21:13:53) nn-: we don't need this at rev 1
(21:14:05) nn-: rev 1 is having a ledge, a manager and a hook
(21:14:17) nn-: rev 2 will be adding events on top

Please sign in to comment on this gist.

Something went wrong with that request. Please try again.