PATRICK CLERY - Ruby on Rails Developer
Ruby on Rails & React.JS.
I'm a freelance web developer of over twenty years who builds
single-page apps using
Whether you're looking to start a new project, add features to an
existing one, or add an experienced developer to your team -- I can do
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (FREELANCE WORK)
Freelance Web Development (2007 - Present)
Web Application Development with Ruby on Rails
||Ruby on Rails Ninja
||React.js Rocket Scientist
||Agile Design Advocate
||Docker Ship Captain
UI/UX Development with React.JS
- RESTful or GraphQL API Design that is compliant to Google's
- Database architecture with well-defined validations and indexes
using ActiveRecord and PostgreSQL.
- Advanced PostgreSQL operations: Procedural Programming, Views,
Triggers, Query Analysis, Optimization.
- Data scraping with Regular Expressions & XPath using Nokogiri.
- Uploading & serving files from Amazon S3 buckets using
- User Authentication & Access Restriction: OAuth, Devise with
Warden or Pundit, 2-Factor Authentication with Twilio.
Deployment, Version Control, and DevOps
- Creating Single-Page Applications with React Router that
deliver a modern user experience.
- Styling pages with Bootstrap CSS, a popular design framework
with a clean feel.
- Converting design files from Figma, Sketch, or PhotoShop into a
Webpack, Babel, and SASS.
Workflows & Methodologies
- Deploying to Heroku for production, developers, and testing
- Configuring Docker containers, images, and swarms using
docker-compose and Dockerfile.
- Branching, releasing, and versioning software through GitHub.
- Managing assets with Amazon S3 buckets.
- Automating CI/CD services: Sentry, CircleCI, GitHub Actions,
Docker Hub, Heroku, CodeCov.
- 10 years experience with Linux/Unix operations: shell scripting,
key management, networking, package management.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (ON TEAMS)
- Using GitHub Projects to implement Agile Design and SCRUM
- Test-Driven Development with unit and integration tests using
RSpec & Capybara.
- Conducting code reviews, doing live feature
demonstrations, interviewing and on-boarding new developers.
- Full-stack development in RubyMine by JetBrains, including
deployment, version control, and database operations.
- Follower of the business & software development practices promoted by
Jason Fried, David Heinemeier Hansson, and Basecamp.com.
Vericatch.com (On-Site - Vancouver, BC)
Ruby on Rails Developer (March 2018 - November 2018)
Developed back-end and front-end features for 3 commercial apps that
provides services for supply-chain management, fishing industry
regulations, and provincial catch reporting (1 app in production for 7
years, 2 new apps that were developed and sold).
EXAMPLES OF MY WORK
- Wrote PostgreSQL queries that power the Supply Chain database,
often spanning 50+ lines.
- Analyzed & optimized PostgreSQL performance in Ruby on
- Reviewed 3+ Pull Requests Per Week for a team of 4 Ruby on Rails
- Followed Test-Driven Development methodology using RSpec, using
Capybara for integration tests.
- Restricted User & Group access to features Devise & Warden.
- Created reusable UI components using Bootstrap CSS.
- Shared senior developer duties of Interviewing & On-boarding new
- Deployed applications on DigitalOcean through Ansible.
- Configured Amazon Web Services to for hosting images and assets.
- Handled user support requests and application errors from
Sentry within 24-hours.
- Worked in 2-week SCRUM sprints along with Agile Design
workflow that was setup through GitHub Projects.
- Delivered live presentations to development team when adding new
Here's just a few projects I'm proud of. (Click the live link to see
them in action!)
🛒 Amazon ASIN Lookup
||Verified traceability for the seafood supply chain.
||Paid Work (Contributor)
||Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Bootstrap CSS
🚀 SpaceX Flights
OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS: HACKATHONS, EDUCATION, ETC.
University of Alberta
HOW TO CONTACT ME
||Computing Sciences Program 2007