MTA:SA on macOS instructions
- Make sure you have the
GTA San Andreasfolder copied to your computer.
- You might need a GTA SA 1.00 No CD crack - any HOODLUM release will do.
- Make sure you have Homebrew installed.
- Get the latest staging version of Wine, you can do this by running the following commands:
brew tap homebrew/cask-versions: import the Homebrew repository for alternate cask versions
brew cask install wine-staging: install wine-staging
wine start explorer.exeand press "Install" if prompted about Wine Mono.
- Tip: if you are not prompted about Wine Mono now, make sure you select Install if you are ever prompted to install it in the future.
- Help the developers: if you are not prompted about Wine Mono, or if you are prompted about it in the future, please tell us in #development on the MTA Discord.
- Your macOS user folder is in the
Z:drive. Note that can find your Downloads folder at
wine start explorer.exeand navigate to
- Verify that the game works properly.
- If you get stuck after the NVIDIA logo, just hit
Spaceto skip the Rockstar logo videos that would ordinarily play.
- You can use
Cmd+Tabto minimise GTA San Andreas.
- Start GTA from the Terminal like this:
wine start /unix ~/Documents/Projects/mtasa/macos/Rockstar\ Games/GTA\ San\ Andreas/gta_sa.exe
- Navigate and run
mtasa-1.5.6.exeusing your preferred method (from
explorer.exeor from the Terminal, as above).
- Install MTA normally.
Verify MTA works
- Start MTA (from the installer, or by navigating through
C:\Program Files (x86)\)
- Make sure you can fly around the GTA map!
- Process to test CEF (see below)
Running MTA in the future
You can run MTA in the future by:
wine start /unix ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MTA\ San\ Andreas\ 1.5/Multi\ Theft\ Auto.exe
CEF (web browsers)
CEF stands for Chromium Embedded Framework. It is essential that this works for you.
This section has been copied to the following AppDB entries: 1.5.6
- Open the console by hitting the backtick key (to the left of the
- Close the console using the same key, and press the Chromium icon in the bottom left corner.
- If you do NOT see the MTA website, please see the "Fix CEF" section below.
- Help the developers: If you see the MTA website (without the need to fix CEF), please tell us in #development on the MTA Discord.
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MTA San Andreas 1.5/MTA"and hit
ln -s libcef.dll chrome_elf.dll icudtl.dat natives_blob.bin v8_context_snapshot.bin snapshot_blob.bin CEF/
If you previously followed an earlier version of these instructions and this line complains about
File exists, first run the following commands, then reattempt the above command:
cd CEF rm libcef.dll chrome_elf.dll icudtl.dat natives_blob.bin v8_context_snapshot.bin snapshot_blob.bin cd ../ # Now you may run the `ln -s` command above.
Test this feature as described above.
If it does not work, cry. Help the developers: please tell us in #development on the MTA Discord
winecfginto a Terminal
- Navigate to "Staging"
- Enable EAX for mysterious improvements