VMDK to VHDX
- Download: http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/E/91E9F42C-3F1F-4AD9-92B7-8DD65DA3B0C2/mvmc_setup.msi (thanks @xavery)
- Open Powershell as administrator and run
Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter\MvmcCmdlet.psd1'
- And after
ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath d:\scratch\vmx\VM-disk1.vmdk -VhdType DynamicHardDisk -VhdFormat vhdx -destination c:\vm-disk1
If you counter following error:
ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk : The entry 1 is not a supported disk database entry for the descriptor.
In my case it was entry
Follow these steps:
- download and extract dsfok tools
dsfo.exe "c:\temp\disk2.vmdk" 512 1024 descriptor1.txtto extract the descriptor
- edit the descriptor file in Notepad++: comment the above mentioned line (as I added the extra single character (#) I also deleted one NULL character from the end to keep the file size of 1024 bytes (not sure if this is needed).
dsfi.exe "c:\temp\disk2.vmdk" 512 1024 descriptor1.txtto inject the descriptor back into the VMDK
- repeat these steps for the other disk (my VM has two
- reissue the