Steps to reproduce:
range-request.htmllocally and open it in Chrome
- Clear your browser cache by going to chrome://settings/clearBrowserData, checking "Cached images and files" and clicking "Clear data"
- Open the devtools and make sure that the "Disable cache" option is not checked in the Network tab.
- Click the "Fetch file with
Rangerequests" button. Observe the console logs and wait for the complete file to be fetched.
- Click the "Fetch file with one request" button and observe the console logs.
- Click the "Fetch file with one request" button again and observe the console logs.
In Safari 12 and Firefox 71, Step 4 produces a series of 206 responses and Steps 5 and 6 produce a single 200 response.
In Chrome 78.0.3902.4, Step 5 produces a 206 response with a
Content-Range header indicating that the entire file has been fetched. Step 6 however produces a 200 response.
If the HTTP cache is cleared again and steps 4-6 are repeated, the same results occur.