What is HLS.js, and how has it changed in the last year or two?
What is HLS?
- Apple HLS - Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?q=Apple+HLS&oq=Apple+HLS)
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) - Apple Developer (https://developer.apple.com/streaming/)
- draft-pantos-hls-rfc8216bis-08 - HTTP Live Streaming 2nd Edition (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-hls-rfc8216bis-08)
- Creating an HLS Manifest | Apple Developer Documentation (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/http_live_streaming/example_playlists_for_http_live_streaming/creating_a_master_playlist)
What is MSE?
- HTML5 video element — HTML5 (https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110113/video.html)
What else is HLS.js?
- HLS.js is one of many ways to play HLS in a browser.
- Safari is the first.
- A goal of HLS.js is to support any HLS stream as well as Safari.
- Report bugs and feature requests to Apple through the Feedback Assistant (https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/5658248)
- Awesome Video lists HLS resources and web video players among other things (http://awesome.video/#web)
- HLS.js is an open-source project created by Guillaume du Pontavice in 2015 while at DailyMotion.
- Contributors to video-dev/hls.js (https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/graphs/contributors?from=2015-01-25&to=2021-04-26&type=c)
- John Bartos took over in 2018 when Guillaume went to Netflix
- "Bartos spec" LHLS(.js): Why Hls.js is standardizing low-latency streaming - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3KF2n84hI)
- Will Law - Three Roads to Jerusalem (Low-Latency) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Col12gjnNlI&t=235s)
- DASH Industry Forum https://dashif.org/
HLS.js v1.0 Features
- Releases · video-dev/hls.js (https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/releases)
- Projects · video-dev/hls.js (https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/projects)
HLS.js v1.0 Testing and Maintenance
- Issues · video-dev/hls.js (https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/issues)
- hls.js demo (https://hls-js.netlify.app/demo/)
- A/B Testing videp providers at JW Player (Looker/Mode analytics internal reports)
HLS Interest Group and Upcoming Features from Apple
- Discussions Archive and Subscribing https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hls-interest
- HLS Interstitials (ads in HLS with Airplay support)
- HLS Content Steering (formal spec for content redundancy and failfover)