- Local and distributed :
- So what?
- Local is faster : Think about it, reading from HDD/RAM is faster than reading from www.imslow.com each time.
- It not only saves your time on local operations like read history, diff, work offline [-who doesn’t have internet??] but also makes collaborating tools like Jenkins faster to act.
- Branch policies & Code review (GitHub, GitLap, VSTS ets): Tools made upon git have eligant feature like
- Code review: Following pull request workflow (more on this later), you can set branch policies to make sure that a code is reviewed before getting into the branch.
- Branch policies to prevent anyone directly committing into the branch like prod branch 'master' (similar to trunk)
- Git's repositories are much smaller than Subversions (for the Mozilla project, 30x smaller). ref: https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnComparison