Questions to ask leaders
I always freeze when I'm in a advice/learning/mentorship situation (watching a panel, in a 1:1, having a hallway conversation) with a leader who I admire and we get to the end of the conversation and the leader I'm talking to asks me if I have any questions for them. In that moment I forget all the questions I wanted to ask, which is so unfortunate becuase I miss out on the most useful moment. So, I'm collecting questions to jog my memory:
- What do you do to wind down from the day?
- In 1-2 words, what is your biggest strength as a leader?
- How do you find out what your weaknesses are?
- Who is your confidant (someone you get advice from consistently, lean on in crisis, share frustrations...)?
- Can you finish this sentence for me? "I am inspired by the people on my team who..."
- How do you deal with fear, uncertainty and doubt (personally or projected onto you)?