Install Java 1.8 JDK:
- You can find instructions for installing the JDK for different platforms here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/install_overview.html
- OR you can directly download the JDK from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Click on the Downloads tab: As of this writing, the latest version is Java SE 8u77 - click the Download button under the label JDK
- Choose the executable appropriate for your platform
- Download and install, leaving all of the default settings during installation
- For example, on the Mac, the default location (“home” directory) will be: On the Mac, by default this will be /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home
- Download and install the Community edition (Mac or Windows or Linux): https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/
- Choose your platform, OS X, Windows, or Linux
- Click the Download button under the Community edition
- After the download completes, run the executable and accept the defaults
Installing the Intellij Scala Plugin
- After installation completes, run Intellij.
- IntelliJ will start up with a dialog with options such as “Create New Project”, “Import Project”, etc.
- At the bottom right, there is a Configure drop-down: Click the Configure drop-down and select Plugins
- Click the “Install JetBrains plugin…” button at the bottom left
- In the search field at the top, type “Scala"
- The Scala 3.0.1 (or newer) plugin should appear, with details in the right pane
- Click the green Install button
- This will download and automatically install the Scala plugin
- After that completes, click Close
- Intellij will ask if you want to restart it to activate plugin changes - click “Restart"
Creating a Scala project
- After it restarts, click “Create New Project” - Scala should show up as an option on the left-hand side.
- Click Scala
- Create a sample project called “ScalaSample"
- Click “Create” next to Scala SDK and then click "Download"
- This will download the latest Scala (2.11.8) and SBT (0.13.8) - note this may take some time
- After it completes, make sure “scala-sdk-2.11.8” shows up in the Scala SDK drop down
- For Project SDK, you need to choose the location where the Java 1.8 SDK was installed
- On the Mac, by default this will be /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home
- Then click “Finish"
You have successfully installed Java, Intellij, and Scala within the IDE