Guest Notes for How I Built It Podcast
We will pick a product you developed to talk about and I will ask 6 questions about it. The target is a 20-30 minute show that's pretty focused.
I will open the show, mention the show's sponsor(s) and then introduce you. We'll then jump into the questions.
- Tell us a little bit about your product and tell us: How did you come up with this idea?
- What kind of research, if any, did you do?
- I have found recently that talking it out with some folks really helps! Did you talk to anyone about features, business advice, direction?
- So...how did you build it? This can be tools you used, coding methods, designing the software, what plugins you used; whatever you think is relevant
- (if applicable) Has the product goes through any transformations since it first launched?
- What are your plans for the future?
From there I will mention the sponsors one more time, then ask you a final question:
Do you have any trade secrets for us?
You can answer seriously or with a joke - whatever you'd like! I will then close out the show. Remind me to tell you when your show will air!
Tips for Good Recording
We will be be talking via Skype. I'll be doing dual track recording, but if you could record audio on your side that would be great! That way if we see a dip in connection or get weird quality, I can do some track-laying action. To do that:
- On a Mac, open QuickTime Player and go to File > New Audio Recording.
- Click the tiny arrow next to the record button and select Quality Maximum and the correct microphone
- Drag the volume slider all the way to the left (off)
To that end, there are a few things we can do to make sure that we get good bandwidth and audio quality:
- Please use headphones. That will reduce feedback and echoing.
- Turn off Dropbox and other syncing services. These tend to kill bandwidth.
Other things that could help if possible:
- Connect via ethernet right into the modem or router
- Use a mic other than the one built-in to the computer
- Restart the computer and boot up Skype right before we record
That's about it! Looking forward to recording! And thanks for being on the show!