- Change your database RDS instance security group to allow your machine to access it.
- Add your ip to the security group to acces the instance via Postgres.
- Make a copy of the database using pg_dump
$ pg_dump -h <public dns> -U <my username> -f <name of dump file .sql> <name of my database>
- you will be asked for postgressql password.
- a dump file(.sql) will be created
- Restore that dump file to your local database.
- but you might need to drop the database and create it first
$ psql -U <postgresql username> -d <database name> -f <dump file that you want to restore>
- the database is restored
pg_restore -h <host> -U <username> -c -d <database name> <filename to be restored>