Vegan zucchini fritters
The recipe that I started with is here: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-zucchini-fritters/
Here's my version:
- 2 green zucchini, peeled, shredded
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of egg substitute
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or coconut oil
- olive or coconut oil for cooking
- Salt the shredded zucchini and let them rest for 10 min.
- Squeeze the zucchini with your hands or a cheesecloth to release the water
- In a large bowl, mix the zucchini with all the dried ingredients (I sifted them)
- Add the chopped garlic and mix well. It should look very dry, and the zucchini lumps should be covered in the dry mixture.
- When things look homogenous, add the oil and continue mixing
- I reached a nice "pâte à choux" consistency: sticky, smooth, but easy to turn into small balls
- put balls of dough into a medium-hot pan with olive oil, and press gently to turn the balls into nuggets (my kids had to be able to eat them easily). I guess you could make bigger cutlets too.
- cook on both sides for 5-7 minutes until they show a nice golden crust
- I served them sprinkled with chopped cilantro, and slices of lemon
For photos, see this thread.