Bugs and Priority
- Maintaining software is about tradeoffs
- Shared understanding of tradeoffs is important
- Tracking bugs is important
- What priority means?
- What else should we be using?
- Depends on the person prioritizing
- I disagree, I think many times there are standards for our priorities
- Seems to make the assumption that there is one person setting priority on tasks…not really “at scale”
What kind of defect
- But…it is most of the time….
- How do we get everyone on the same page?
What is the frequency of that defect?
- e.g., crash/data loss/cosmetic
- Is it happening all the time?
- Is it happening at a very low rate?
- Understanding variables key to standardizing decisions
- Chart for each company is different, only important that people agree
- Process should be flexible enough to break from time-to-time
Thcipriani final notes
- Structured data around what kind of defects you have
- Let’s you build reporting in your bug tracker
- More informed about trade-offs