Some notes about art and creation.
- It is helpful to distinguish between the author-creator, the author-public-figure and the author-critic.
- One commonly made mistake is to consider the author-creator knows what kind of statement their creations make.
- There isn’t one and only one value to a creation.
- It is fallacious to factor out the technological and social context of a creation, both for the author and the spectator.
- It is interesting to find out who makes and enforces the rules that make an author’s recognition possible.
- A creation is a window into human nature.
- One helpful axis to analyze discipline is how abstracted they are from the pure gesture of creation.
- One purpose of craft is to impose on us the illusion that the artificial is real.