Techniques of persuasion.
Has had a bad rap throughout ages. Appears necessary in democratic societies. Preserved under authoritarian systems for justice and theology, and for elite groups. In western republic democracies, mainly practiced by professional politicians (elective nobility) and lawyers. Porosity between the two groups.
More and more essential in the companies that want to emphasize group problem solving and collaboration. Practiced without knowing it, in a dry style, by engineers via their communications and documentations.
- Magic/Mysterium. In classical times it was clear that it takes time to develop know-how. Practice. Initiation. Hence roles of schools as safe space for learning and practice.
- Foresight/foreshadowing (asking the audience to predict what would happen. Near to Far)
- Adapt vocabulary to audience. Simple to be understood, complex enough to flatter
- Delivery. Speed, Pause, Repetition, Rhythm.
Persuasion and seduction Moving someone without constraint to adopt certains points of views and opinions.
Attack of a communication sets the tone.
- Sharp. Uncomplicated. Authentic, Focused.
- sustain the intelligence of the audience. Wake they up via silence, humor or provocation
Classical delivery medium:
- Written (letters, essays, books); Speeches adapted as prose.
- Systems/Interactive Experiences
Empathy. Affection. Logos vs Pathos. Chaos vs Narration.
Has roots in law (logographers)
Link with politics because justice and politics were intertwined. (Large juries)
People: Stars of rhetoric in the western world are Demosthene and Cicero.
- Jacqueline de Romilly https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_de_Romilly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_de_Romilly
- Magic and Rhetoric in Ancient Greece (C.N.Jackson Lecture) by Jacqueline de Romilly (1976-07-01) https://www.amazon.com/Rhetoric-Ancient-C-N-Jackson-Jacqueline-1976-07-01/dp/B01K0QL79G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503761053&sr=8-2&keywords=magic+romilly
- De Oratore https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_oratore
- Lucian (of Samosata) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian
- Against Androtion
- Against Leptines
- Against Timocrates
- On the Navy
People (for speeches)
- Louis Jouvet
- Marc Bonnant, Lawyer