- Frontend Dev Bookmarks
- The Web Platform: Browser technologies
- Open Web Platform Daily Digest
- Advice to budding front-end developers
- 9 basic principles of responsive web design
- Do you have what it takes to be a front-end developer?
- Differences between MVC and MVP for Beginners
- GUI Architectures - strong historical account of variations on MV* patterns
- Lessons Learnt by Building Single Page Applications
- StackOverflow: What should every developer know about databases?
- What technical details should a programmer of a web application consider before making the site public?
- Neo4j: 5 cool graph examples
- Etsy Activity Feeds Architecture
- Design Decisions For Scaling Your High Traffic Feeds
- Facebook’s Instagram: Making the Switch to Cassandra from Redis, a 75% ‘Insta’ Savings
- Big Data in Real-Time at Twitter
- Atom Activity Streams 1.0
- What are best practices for building something like a News Feed?
- What are the scaling issues to keep in mind while developing a social network feed?
- Neo4j - A Graph Database That Kicks Buttox
- Social networks in the database: using a graph database
- Understanding Neo4j Scalability
- How does database indexing work?
- Cassandra vs MongoDB vs CouchDB vs Redis vs Riak vs HBase vs Couchbase vs OrientDB vs Aerospike vs Neo4j vs Hypertable vs ElasticSearch vs Accumulo vs VoltDB vs Scalaris comparison
- W3 HTML Specification
- 10 HTML Tag Crimes You Really Shouldn't Commit
- Application Cache is a Douchebag
- What is the DOM?
- CSS Doesn't Suck, You're Just Doing It Wrong
- CSS Triggers - great CSS performance site
- GitHub's CSS
- CodePen's CSS
- CSS at Lonely Planet
- CSS Guidelines: High-level advice and guidelines for writing sane, manageable, scalable CSS
- The 30 CSS Selectors You Must Memorize
- Flexbox adventures
- CSS - OOCSS, SMACSS and more
- CSS px is an Angular Measurement
- Closures: Front to Back
- Why the Hell Would I Use Node.js? A Case by Case Introduction
- Data-binding Revolutions with Object.observe()
- How to keep up to date on front-end technologies
- Properties vs. Attributes in HTML
- How do I “think in AngularJS” if I have a jQuery background?
- Single page apps in depth
- Opinionated Rundown of JS Frameworks
- Introduction to Service Worker: How to use Service Worker
- How the Grinch stole array.length access
- Douglas Crockford: The Better Parts - JSConfUY 2014
- The Differences between jQuery Deferreds and the Promises/A+ spec
- You're Missing the Point of Promises
- A crash course in how DOM events work - an in-depth, code-heavy explanation of how event bubbling works in the DOM. Great article!
- Live DOM Viewer - Awesome tool for visualizing the tree structure of DOM nodes.
- Quirksmode: W3C DOM - Introduction
- W3C DOM4 Specification
- What is the Document Object Model?
- Interface description language
- Web IDL (Web Interface Description Language) - This describes the language used to describe the DOM interfaces
- Mobile Web Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Redefining Hick's Law
- Gestalt Principles of Perception 1 - Figure/Ground Relationship
- Gestalt Principles of Perception
- 9 Essential Principles for Good Web Design
- The designer’s guide to Gestalt Theory
- 8 Effective Web Design Principles You Should Know
- 10 Principles Of Effective Web Design
- Worst Websites of the Year from 2012 - 2005
- Gestalt psychology - Wikipedia
- Media Queries - Site demoing various responsive websites at different sites
- Learn to Code HTML & CSS
- MVC Architecture
- Color theory for programmers
- Creating Killer Landing Pages That Convert People
- Traps for the Unwary in Python’s Import System
- descriptor_writeup - Properties and Descriptors in Python
- Understanding Generators in Python?
- IPython Notebook
- JSON Generator
- Why, oh WHY, do those #?@! nutheads use vi?
- A tmux Primer
- How to remove trailing whitespace of all files recursively?
- Linux Fundamentals
- Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS)
- A Brief Introduction to Linux Containers with LXC
- Quora: What are some time-saving tips that every Linux user should know?
- Pixels Are Expensive
- Optimizations For Improving Page Load Times
- We Have a Long Way To Go
- Latency Is Everywhere And It Costs You Sales - How To Crush It
- Revisiting "Cookieless" Domains
- StackOverflow Update: 560M Pageviews A Month, 25 Servers, And It's All About Performance
- SmartStack: Service Discovery in the Cloud
- Open-Source Service Discovery in the Cloud
- How the 'Net works: an introduction to peering and transit
- Economix Comix: Net Neutrality
- The First Few Milliseconds of an HTTPS Connection
- this (computer programming)
- Awesome - Awesome list of tons of resources for lots of programming languages
- StackOverflow - What's the difference between unit, functional, acceptance, and integration tests?
- Nature of Code
- Back to Basics
- What is (functional) reactive programming?
- Ten Things I Hate About Object-Oriented Programming
- The Early History of Smalltalk
- Game Programming Patterns
- Game Mechanic Explorer
- Essential Math for Games Programmers
- Introduction to Component Based Architecture in Games
- Goal Oriented Action Planning (AI)
- The Anatomy of a Design Document
- Procedural Planet Generation
- Stealth Game Design
- A Turn-Based Game Loop
- Rooms and Mazes: A Procedural Dungeon Generator
Networking (not like on LinkedIn)
- 1500 Archers on a 28.8: Network Programming in Age of Empires and Beyond
- How Does the Internet Work?
- A Brief Guide to the History of the Internet
- Visual Trace Route Tool - shows you the geographical location of each router you bounce through on the way to a certain destination
- How Packet Travels in Network ( 3D Animation )
- OSI Network Layer
- Aesop Academy
- A* Pathfinding Example
- A Beginner's Guide to Big O Notation - very basic, quick, and easy-to-understand explanations of big O notation
Instruction and Education
Software Development Methodology
Management / Teams / Leadership
Culture / Industry / Philosophy
- You suck at technical interviews
- Microsoft’s Lost Decade
- Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was Learning How to Code
- Teach Yourself Programming in 10 Years
- The Bomb in the Garden
- When Milliseconds Make Millions: Why Wall Street Programmers Earn the Big Bucks
- How to be a Programmer: A Short, Comprehensive, and Personal Summary
- How do big software companies avoid bad programmers making existing code worse?
- Engineer Whispering
- The care and feeding of software engineers (or, why engineers are grumpy)
- How to Work with Engineers on a Web Development Project
- Your Job Is Political: Tech Money in Politics
- How Developers Stop Learning: Rise of the Expert Beginner
- The Zen of Rejection: Let Companies Go In That Other Direction
- Quora: What is some general good career advice?
- Software engineer
- Heat Death: Venture Capital in the 1980s
- East of Palo Alto's Eden
- This Entrepreneur Raised $2M With A Five-Slide Presentation -- About Nothing
- Should I Reveal My Compensation to a Recruiter?
Web / Programming History
- Brief History of the Internet
- Browser wars
- Investopedia: What were the "browser wars"? (refers to Netscape vs. Internet Explorer)
- WebAIM: History of the browser user-agent string (funny)
- Nicholas Zakas: History of the user-agent string (detailed)
Business / Entrepreneurial / Startup
- CONTROLLING CHAOS: Twitter's Wild Ride From Doodle To IPO
- 30 Things to Stop Doing As a Startup Founder
- Equity basics: vesting, cliffs, acceleration, and exits
Mathematics / Stats / Etc.
Theory of Mind / Productivity
- The History of Cognitive Overload
- Actually, practice doesn’t always make perfect — new study
- If You’re Busy, You’re Doing Something Wrong: The Surprisingly Relaxed Lives of Elite Achievers
- Quora: What are the best study methods?
- Quora: When people read hundreds of books a year, how much of them do they actually remember?
- How to Stop Being Lazy
- An Introduction to Mental Models
- Index of Learning Styles
- Skeptoid: Speed Reading
- NaNoGenMo Resources
- How to mosh a .obj
- Massive Multi-player Online Games and the Developing Political Economy of Cyberspace
- Why movies look weird at 48fps, and games are better at 60fps, and the uncanny valley…
- How to Read A Book
- A System for Remembering What you Read
- What Should I Read? Two Ideas to Help Guide Us
- Finding Time to Read
- How to Read More - A Lot More
- The Secret to Creativity? Saying "No"
- Redditors who have been on the brink of death/legally dead, can you describe what it felt like?serious replies only
- A beginner's guide to exploring the darknet
- Ai Weiwei is living in our future
- Edward Hess, Interview No. 6
- A Lesson on Worldly Wisdom by Charlie Munger
- Anti-doxing strategy—or, how to avoid 50 Qurans and $287 of Chick-Fil-A