DEAR LORD THIS IS A HUGE PAIN IF YOU'RE ON 18.04
okay, what a huge mess. ima go through this real quick before i forget any of it.
- install the display driver. right now the ubuntu PPA doesn't have 396 in it so here's some rigamarole:
- install 390 first, lol:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa sudo apt update sudo apt install nvidia-390
- restart, lol.
- now go into
Software & Updates, then click on the
Additional Driverstab, and select the 396 metapackage driver, install it. you have to do this because for some reason you can't select the 396 package in the command line. WTF.
- restart? lol.
- now install download and install the CUDA stuff, 9.2 in this case
sudo dpkg -i [filename] sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install cuda
- that will install the binary driver for ubuntu, so then you've got to go back into
Software & Updatesand reselect the metapackage 396 driver.
- ensure that stuff works by going to
sudo make, then test out the programs to make sure things are good
- now install cuDNN!!!!!
- download all the stuff from the website
- 'dpkg -i` all of them
- try to make and run the samples in
that worked for me! why doesn't nvidia support 18.04 yet!!!!