sudo apt-get install direwolf ax25-apps ax25-tools
Setting up direwolf
Direwolf is our software TNC
- Set the correct frequency and offset on your radio (439.100MHz no offset)
- Connect radio to digirig.
- Set squelch to off
- Check in pulse audio volcume control (
pavucontrol) under input devices that the digirig input (CM108) volume isn't maxing out the bar. Change the radio volume until the bar is around 80% full.
direwolf-uv5r.confsomewhere. Update the
MYCALLto be your callsign. Update
/dev/ttyUSB0to be the digirig serial port if you have more than one USB serial device connected
- Make sure the serial port is accessible to your user either by adding your user to the dialout group or doing something like
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 # yolo
- Run direwolf
direwolf -p -c direwolf-uv5r.conf
- Check to see if there are any errors on start up (like can't open sound card, can't open serial port)
- Note down the
- Check in pulse audio volume control that the playback and recording of direwolf is set to the digirig / CM108 sound card
- At this point you should have a working TNC. You can use
echo "c000abcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefc0" | xxd -r -p > /dev/pts/5(update the /dev/pts/5 to match what direwolf said on startup) to test. Running this should TX a packet. You can tune in another radio to hear it.
Setting up the Linux Kernel AX25
/etc/ax25/axports. It should have a line that looks something like this (replace out VK4XSS for your callsign)
# /etc/ax25/axports # # The format of this file is: # # name callsign speed paclen window description 1 VK4XSS-1 1200 512 1 Meow
- Next we attach our TNC to the kernel using
kissattach -l /dev/pts/4 1(update the pts filename to the direwolf one).
1is our ax25 port name we defined up
- We need to turn off CRC checks in the AX25 kernel driver. Use
kissparms -c 1 -p 1. This changes the CRC type to none on ax port named
Making a call
Now that the kernel driver is setup, we can try to make a connection.
axcall 1 VK3FUR-11
axcall takes your ax25 port name (from /etc/ax25/axports that we configured above as
1) followed by the station you want to call
All going well your radio will start TXing and the axcall window will open. Typing into this window and hitting enter will transmit to the other end. You can exit by typing
~. on a new line.