Medalla non-finality mid October
What is happening with the Medalla eth2 testnet currently, Oct 17th 2020? Here's an ELI5. (Not exactly 5. Maybe 10. You get the idea.)
- A bunch of validators turned off (maybe zinken, maybe bored, who knows)
- We entered non-finality. This means we don't have enough validators online to agree to what the state of the network is. We need 2/3rds.
- Some sync bugs reared their heads, in Prysm and Nimbus. We lost more validators to the bugs, not everyone has updated since
- Non-finality increases memory and CPU requirements, we likely lost more validators because their nodes couldn't handle it
- Either people come back in and we regain finality or
- They don't and offline validators lose eth faster and faster, until we regain finality. Some may be ejected if their balance falls too low.