What is Docker?
- Docker is an open platform for developing, shipping, and running applications.
- Combines a lightweight container virtualization platform with workflows and tooling that help manage and deploy applications.
Why is Containerization Important?
- Containerization allows for encapsulation of app specific configuration concerns.
- Encapsulation allows for decoupling of dependencies, so each app can depend on different versions.
- Simpler dependency management results in a low friction IT environment, less things to learn and break.
- Low friction allows to ship code faster, test faster, deploy faster, shortening the cycle between writing code and running code.