Open Data Front-End Strategy
Sites / Layout Issues
- lets put this on hold for a sprint
- get feedback and tackle UX issues systematically vs rushing and guessing
- the current system for isolating the Layout Editor from the Layout CSS is not working correctly and needs to be re-assessed
- Footers! Footers need to be "extracted" so they can be rendered on any page, not just the Home page of a site.
Lingering Issues from "Connecting the Dots"
- "Gear icon” should be gray like sidebar header
- Flip brand primary and link color defaults in Theme Builder (link = blue, brand primary = gray)
- Make entire accordion row clickable (not just the name “Theme Builder”)
- Add hyperlink from 'Data Manager' in error to actual page on category card.
- Empty Row should have button/link that opens side-panel w/ Layout Builder section opened
- Work out the interactions around:
- start dragging widget onto page (hide side-panel?)
- drop widget (show side-panel w/ widget settings open?)
- Card-Resizer should use buttons not 's so the click targets are better
- When Banner
<h1>is empty, do not put element in the DOM
- When Banner
<h2>is empty, do not put element in the DOM
Priority Tech Debt
- Fix issue w/ css relative paths breaking in prod-like builds
- local devt under https
- local devt using
status.jsonbuild so we can tie ui version into the Open Data status page (98% complete)
General Code Cleanup
- move all services into the
/servicesfolders in the apps
- extract shared services into
- deal with
httpsissues for glyphicons in the layout editor
- replace all
col-md-XXin components with
col-xs-XXor multiple classes
- what can we do so we retain the url, but show the 404 page (per https://github.com/ArcGIS/composer/issues/9118#issuecomment-228243223)
Unified Site Model / Adapter
- move Site model to
- bring along the adapters & serializers for now
- move Page model to
opendata-uito use the site model
!window.__SITE || window.__SITEIDthen fetch from API
- we need to create a "pages" version of the
site-editorcomponent so we can swap in/out the component editor UIs
- create a service to CRUD Page --> Application Configuration item @ AGO
- start investigation into storing images and other assets w/ page @ AGO
- i.e. json that is the summarized data for a chart, so it loads REALLY fast
AGO Item Service
- Ember friendly utility that does CRUD for items using fetch
servicesfor Pages, Sites etc will be built on top of this
- see if we can use
node-arcgisbut don't get hung up on re-use.
General plan is to move the current Admin v1 functionality to Ember quickly, while at the same time streamlining the information architecture.
Information Architecture Changes:
- Move "Data Manager" up to be a top level concern vs under "Site"
We need to review any Admin UI v2 wireframes that Klara or Erich have, and decide what if any of that we are using. We also need to formalize and standardize our form validation
- jupe is digging into this and will have a decision by Wednesday 6/29
ember-cp-validationsseems to work at the model level, but our editing UI's are not 1:1 with models
ember-sticklerseems to be more focused on validating a form Github
Regarding the form validation. We use ember-cp-validations in opendata-ui (for the signup form). It can be used with components but I have an inkling that ember-stickler will be a better fit for the peculiarities of the admin app.
Update: I have been playing with ember-stickler this morning and I definitely like it. I have a couple of outstanding questions that I am trying to resolve.
Update2: ember-stickler does not support async rules as far as I can tell. I have been trying to find a way to get that functionality but thus far have been unsuccessful. I'm going to pursue this a bit further but I think that's a showstopper if I can't find a good way.
Update3: They say it is possible (sethpollack/ember-stickler#5). I have found a way but I don't know if I love it.