I've reserved some crate names on crates.io for future use.
I'm willing to turn over any crate names to interested parties under some criteria:
- The name actually suits the project. If the crate name is banana and your project is about apples, its off-topic use. Name it apples instead!
- Your crate is a significant contribution to the ecosystem and not just e.g. some test project or something you never intend to finish.
- You intend to maintain the crate.
- There is a RIIR-only policy to help pure-Rust implementations getting great names. This means: no crate names for API bindings of any non-rust codebases, rust-idiomatic or otherwise.
There are three exceptions to this rule: OS/driver API bindings, projects that are getting rewritten part by part and where some parts are already rewritten (like
ring), and if you are the original creator of the non-Rust codebase and you want to provide the bindings yourself, you'll get the name as well.
- You actually have it almost done so that its usable by other people. With "usable" I mean that the crate is functional and can be integrated into software fulfilling the task its meant for.
Please get in touch with me if you wish access or have any questions. Thank you!