If you are getting this in gdb on macOS while trying to run a program:
Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 57573: (os/kern) failure (0x5). (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
- Open Keychain Access
- In menu, open Keychain Access > Certificate Assistant > Create a certificate
- Give it a name (e.g.
- Identity type: Self Signed Root
- Certificate type: Code Signing
- Check: let me override defaults
- Continue until "specify a location for..."
- Set Keychain location to System
- Create certificate and close Certificate Assistant.
- Find certificate in System keychain.
- Double click certificate
- Expand Trust, set Code signing to
- Restart taskgated in terminal:
- Codesign gdb using your certificate:
codesign -fs gdbc /usr/local/bin/gdb
- Shut down your mac and restart in recovery mode (hold down command-R until apple logo appears)
- Open terminal window
- Modify System Integrity Protection to allow debugging:
csrutil enable --without debug
- Reboot your Mac. Debugging with gdb should now work as expected.