Attempting to install NixOS
- installing NixOS, it fails to detect the UEFI partition on
nixos-install, however installs, because that partition is obviously mounted, but doesn't record it in
hardware-configuration.nix. Changing configuration after reboot seems to work, but the new configuration never shows up in the boot menu and is never booted. Silent failure, no error handling, wasted hours of debugging and rebooting.
- Trying to mix xfce4 with i3 fails, xfce session is never started. Fixing it requires special configuration and even changing the display manager, because the default has a hack to find sessions, which is broken, so you cannot choose "xfce+i3".
- Suspend and hibernate is broken.
- Setting up vim becomes a huge exercise in bug-hunting and configuration
- First, vims default python is 2, breaking a lot of recent plugins. Setting it to 3 becomes a long quest in reading through ML posts and SO questions with odd configurations as answers. There is a wiki page about vim