How to connect PS3 controller on Mac OSX, PC, etc.
This is how you connect PS3 controller to Mac OSX, PC, etc. when previously connected to a PS3. You will need a Mini USB cable. Overcome your laziness, get up of your chair, and go get one!
A big misconception is that keep holding PS button will reset the controller's pairing. It DOES NOT! From my testings, the controller keeps paring with the last machine it was CONNECTED VIA A USB CABLE.
Here are the steps:
- Turn OFF your PS3 controller by either...
- (on PS3) hold PS button -> Turn off Controller, OR
- (on Mac) open Apple menu System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Click X button on the device list, OR
- (on the controller itself) insert paperclip into pinhole near L2 button.
- Use a USB cable, connect the controller to your new machine you want.
- Wait just a second until the red light on the controller flashes, unplug the USB cable. Now the controller's setting is reset.
- On your computer, go to System Preferences (OS X) or Control Panel (PC)
- Open Bluetooth settings page. Start Scanning.
- Turn ON the controller by pressing the PS button. Wait a few seconds.
- If it asks for Access Code, enter 0000.
- Now connected! (yey)
- PS3 Console
- MacBook Pro (Early 2011) with OS X Mavericks (10.9)
- If you have Steam opened, hitting PS button will switch Steam into full screen mode. Pretty sleek.