Mastodon Explained in 100 Words
- Mastodon is a microblogging social media platform like Twitter; you can write posts ("toots") and interact with other people's posts on a timeline.
- To sign up, you first need to choose a server (an "instance"), like choosing an email provider.
- Start posting!
- It's probably adequate to start with the official app made by the Mastodon group.
- There are three timelines; "Home" shows posts from people you follow; "Local" shows posts from people who are on your instance; "Federated" shows posts from all people known to your instance.
- You may notice some differences and limitations in the experience as compared to Twitter.