Questions I'm asking on the job hunt
- Tell me about the state of your current product and where you'd like to see it go in the next two years. What are your engineering goals?
- What responsibilities would I have in the role I'm being considered for?
- What would you say are the top two personality traits someone needs to do this job well?
- Why are you hiring for this position?
- How are you currently making product decisions? What are you hoping to change about that process, if anything?
- It's important to me to align with a company that empowers people from all walks of life; what can you tell me about diversity at ? What kind of diversity and inclusion goals do you have for hiring and for clients?
- How many engineers are there total? Would we be pairing or fairly silo'ed?
- What does success in this position look like for you? How will you measure success of the engineering department?
- How do the departments communicate with each other? Are there regular meetings or is communication ad-hoc? Is engineering involved with sales decisions/will it be?
- What's the most important thing you're working on right now, and how are you making it happen?
- What's your growth/revenue strategy?
- I know this company prides itself on X and Y, so what would you say is the most important aspect of your culture?
- How important is user experience to your development process? How do you get user feedback currently, and how do you implement it? (A/B Testing, user testing, data gathering and evaluation)
- What improvements or changes do you hope the new candidate will bring to this position?
- Do you have a product roadmap? How is the roadmap created and modified? Who is responsible for it and how are engineers measured against it? (Deadlines, etc.)
- What do you like about working with (mgr, CEO, etc)?
- How long have you been hiring for this position?
- How do you onboard new engineers?
- Describe your decision-making process on this team, within the department/company
- How much do you prioritize Ops? Do you have continuous deployment and continuous integration? How do you deploy software?
- What was your first code ship like? How was the most recent one different?
- What's the company's runway?
- What was your last funding round? What and when is the next funding round? What are you expecting to have accomplished from engineering at the next round?
- On Day 1, what's my first priority?
- Has anyone already left the company? If so, why didn’t it work out?
- What are the long-term goals, and what is your exit strategy?
- Is there anything that stands out to you that makes you think I might not be the right fit for this job?
- How do you develop talent? How do you help people grow to the next level and be their best?
- What gets you out of bed in the morning?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What's the biggest risk to the company right now?