Tootski, a sharing bookmarklet for Mastodon
Tootski is a bookmarklet that will share the page you're on to your Mastodon instance, including the title, address, and any text you may have selected. If you have any questions or need help, please find me at https://xoxo.zone/@kentbrew.
Before You Begin
You need to know the name of your Mastodon instance if it's not
mastodon.social. To find it, visit your home page on Mastodon and copy out the part between the second and third slash. My home URL looks like this:
... so the name I need is
xoxo.zone. Note: I'm going to be careful here to only copy over the name, not the
https:// part or any slashes!
For Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Opera, and Everybody Else Except Safari
Right-click your bookmarks bar and choose New Bookmarklet (Firefox) or Add Page (Chrome, Edge, Opera)
In Name, put this:
In URL, put this:
Before you save, be sure to change where it says
For My Little Special Friend Safari:
- if you don't see your bookmarks bar, choose Show Favorites Bar under View, main menu
about:blankin a new window (otherwise your new bookmarklet will have the favicon of whatever page you're on right now)
- hit command-D to start a new bookmarklet
- choose Favorites under Add this page to:
Tootskiin the Name box and click Add; a new bookmarklet should appear
- right-click your new bookmarklet and choose Edit Address
For Safari On iPhone and iPadOS: I am reliably informed that this works on iPadOS in Safari. I'm not sure how my correspondent did the install; will confirm when I find out. If your various Safaris are synched, your desktop bookmarklet might automagically show up on your iPhone. If it doesn't:
- Visit this page.
- Tap the Share icon
- Tap Add Bookmark
- Edit the title to say Tootski
- Tap Done
- Tap the Bookmarks icon
- Tap Favorites
- Press and hold your Tootski bookmarklet
- Tap Edit
- Fix the instance name
- Tap Done
For your device (IOS or Android) running mobile Chrome:
- Get to this page in your Android browser.
- Tap the three-dot overflow menu next to the URL bar (it might be at the bottom of the page)
- Tap Add to Bookmarks
- Tap Edit
- Paste in the code.
- Fix up the instance name.
- Save. When you're ready to toot a page, bring up Bookmarks, then Mobile Bookmarks, then tap Tootski.
- Christian Crumlish, https://indieweb.social/@xian, for continued inspiration over many, many, maaaany years. <3
aw, man! it is easy to inspire a brilliant craftsperson when all it takes is just asking for cool stuff!