Hey there, apparently people are still using this Gist from 2013! It's out of date! Consult the Github docs.
Steps for Hosting a Website on GitHub
- Create a GitHub account on github.com.
- Download either [GitHub for Mac] or [GitHub for Windows], depending on your operating system. Open the app and log in using the account you just created.
- (On Mac): After you login, click advanced and make sure that your name and email are correct. Then, click "Install Command Line Tools", just in case you want to start using the command line later in life.
- Create a new repository in your GitHub application. Name it your-username.github.io. The name is very important. Note the folder that GitHub is saving the repository to. Make sure the "Push to GitHub?" box is checked.
- Move your website's files into the folder that GitHub just created when you made the repository. IMPORTANT: Your homepage HTML file must be called "index.html", and it must exist in the top-level