[CSE373] Lectures, dynamic programming, ubuntu 16.10 daily crash
CSE373 2012 - Lecture 21 - Dynamic Programming Examples
CSE373 2012 - Lecture 22 - Applications of Dynamic Programming
After three lectures on it I can safely admit didn't get dynamic programming, not at all, not one bit.
Luckily there seems to be a lot of material around, so I could do what prof Skiena suggested in one of the lectures suggested, which is to study as many examples on dynamic programming as possible, to get a better understanding of it.
I've found a few links that seem to be good, I will stop the CSE373 until I get a better grasp on the argument, here they are:
- MIT 6.006 - 19. Dynamic Programming I: Fibonacci, Shortest Paths (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ5jsbhAv_M)
- MIT 6.046J - R5. Dynamic Programming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZI60lKPek)
- Lecture 9: Dynamic Programming, looks like it's been done to be viewed on the web, worth a try (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7hzgUW5uY)
- Dynamic Programming for Programming Competitions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad0DKl7HUwI)
- Egg Dropping Dynamic Programming, this guy made lots of example videos on the subject (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcaVyX00_4)
It's more links than I am comfortable with, it will halt CSE373 for quite a while, but I think it's crucial.
Ubuntu 16.10 daily crash
No progress here, I still don't know what caused the problem, I've opened a question on askubuntu hopefully I will get some hints from there.
Meanwhile the crash happened a couple more times, I've tried to restart using ALT + SysRq + B without success, it seems no input gets through, I also gave a look at common logs files but without knowing what to look for it's difficult to isolate the bit that tells you about the problem.
I just gave another try to the hunch that this was all avahi-demon's fault, so I did:
$ sudo systemctl disable avahi-daemon $ /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop $ /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon status
With the last command returning an inactive state for the daemon, which wasn't happening when I was doing
avahi-demon -k (I discovered this later on).