What problem(s) are you trying to solve?
- Significantly improve and re-imagine the theme browsing screens for a better user experience.
- More beautiful, visually focused, fast, and up to date with the current times of mobile ubiquitousness, flexible resolutions and retina devices.
- Make it easier and enjoyable for people to find the best and most suitable themes for their needs and tastes.
What proposal solution(s) are you interested in exploring?
- Possibly implement a Backbone.js based plugin to handle the display of themes, that takes over themes.php.
- Puts the focus on screenshots (retina and larger if we can balance it with backwards compat), removes unnecessary visual burdens from the main browsing experience.
- Make it fast, instant searches within your collection. Rethink how we deal with filters.
- Remove tabbed interface. Show your current theme collection and a way to add more: http://cl.ly/image/3w2h0C0J2K12
- Alternatively, use an "add new" button: http://cl.ly/image/3Q0V0r0A3r0Q
- Simplify "current theme" block, highlight the active theme as the first theme on the gird: http://cl.ly/image/292t0y2O1i1o
- Theme info expanded-views, maybe multiple screenshots support: http://cl.ly/image/42122a3J3K3V
- Or mobile screenshot if theme has responsive-design tag: http://cl.ly/image/2y1I0W000D3C
- Another approach for multiple screenshots: http://cl.ly/image/3g1J3A0e161k
This work will also transition into revamping the .org directory with the goal that searching for and installing a theme is equally rewarding and consistent no matter where you start.
Past experiences: look at lessons learned from the WordPress.com theme showcase.
When and where is your group communicating?
To be decided.
Who has joined your group so far?
samuelsidler, matveb, melchoyce, jacobdubail, shaunandrews.
helen and DH-Shredder1 are on board for helping as well.
Can we have a modified version of the mobile mockup showing a backberry from 2006? What happens when in 3 years time after the iPhone 7/Galaxy S 9 is announced and we have an iPhone 4 or a Galaxy S 3 on there? Also mobile vs responsive vs non-responsive, probably best to leave that part