WannaCry|WannaDecrypt0r NSA-Cyberweapon-Powered Ransomware Worm
- Virus Name: WannaCrypt, WannaCry, WanaCrypt0r, WCrypt, WCRY
- Vector: All Windows versions before Windows 10 are vulnerable if not patched for MS-17-010. It uses EternalBlue MS17-010 to propagate.
- Ransom: between $300 to $600. There is code to 'rm' (delete) files in the virus. Seems to reset if the virus crashes.
- Backdooring: The worm loops through every RDP session on a system to run the ransomware as that user. It also installs the DOUBLEPULSAR backdoor. It corrupts shadow volumes to make recovery harder. (source: malwarebytes)
- Kill switch: If the website
www.iuqerfsodp9ifjaposdfjhgosurijfaewrwergwea.comis up the virus exits instead of infecting the host. (source: malwarebytes). This domain has been sinkholed, stopping the spread of the worm. Will not work if proxied (source).
update: A minor variant of the viru