tl;dr we're lazy, we're coders.
Let's make use of that.
- We don't like to start off new projects and write all the booooring boilerplate
- We like to fiddle with code and fix it
- We like recognition
- We're quickly bored
Hence, I present to you my idea:
The Contributors Army
Every month, we choose a popular open source project. For the sake of the argument, let's say popular = >50 stars.
The goal of every participant is to fix a bug on this project, with code. Most of the times it's going to be having a PR merged in. Sometimes it could be having a patch merged in.
- We get to learn how projects work
- The projects get to fix some bugs
- We get stuff to put on our CVs
- We don't create any boilerplate, only fiddling with code
- We don't get bored on a project since we always switch to a new one
And the biggest advantage of them all: we get a new name. A badass name.