Why I switched?
- VSCode can get so fucking slow sometimes
- VSCode-like tooling is available for vim (typescript autoimport, autofixes, etc): E.g. https://github.com/neoclide/coc-tsserver
- Vim has way better navigational features built-in: you can move a lot faster in a file once you get used to the commands. More on that later.
How to get started?
- Get familiar with vim commands: Run
vimtutoron your terminal
- Download a decent terminal app if you haven’t already. A lot of people use iTerm2, I prefer Kitty (way faster): https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/
- Install NeoVim
- Be prepared to google things you want in vim and add them to your vimconfig, I can’t tell you which ones you should get bc that’s kinda up to you and you should understand which ones work for you, but here’s mine (very messy): https://github.com/rnmp/dotfiles/blob/master/.config/nvim/init.vim