This group will be focused on improving the process of adding and editing widgets in the WordPress admin. There's a few problems with the way things work now, including:
- Widgets, sidebars, and their connection to themes is pretty confusing. There's no connection between the sidebar in wp-admin, and the area in your theme.
- The current focus of the page is on available widgets. Sidebars only take up a small portion of the page.
- Having more then 2 or 3 sidebars makes it terrible hard to drag-and-drop widgets around the screen.
- Its not at all obvious how you install a new widget.
- Its not possible (without code) to display widgets, or groups of widgets, based on certain conditions like, "only show on home" or, "don't show on single".
http://www.shaunandrews.com/wordpress-widgets-initial-thoughts/ http://webdevstudios.com/2013/08/14/webdevstudios-take-on-a-wordpress-core-widget-ui-refresh/ http://www.shaunandrews.com/wordpress-widgets-initial-thoughts/widgets-tabbed-ui-concept/ http://www.shaunandrews.com/design-2/prototype-w/
Not decided yet, but likely a mix of IRC (#wordpress-ui), and p2 (make/ui), with a pinch of Skype tossed in for flavor.
- RichardTape has expressed interest