Widgets, Widgets, Widgets
What problem are you trying to solve?
This group will be focused on improving the process of adding and editing widgets in the WordPress admin. There's a few problems with the way things work now, including:
- Widgets, sidebars, and their connection to themes is pretty confusing. There's no connection between the sidebar in wp-admin, and the area in your theme.
- The current focus of the page is on available widgets. Sidebars only take up a small portion of the page.
- Having more then 2 or 3 sidebars makes it terrible hard to drag-and-drop widgets around the screen.
- Its not at all obvious how you install a new widget.
- Its not possible (without code) to display widgets, or groups of widgets, based on certain conditions like, "only show on home" or, "don't show on single".
What proposal solutions are you interested in exploring?
http://www.shaunandrews.com/wordpress-widgets-initial-thoughts/ http://webdevstudios.com/2013/08/14/webdevstudios-take-on-a-wordpress-core-widget-ui-refresh/ http://www.shaunandrews.com/wordpress-widgets-initial-thoughts/widgets-tabbed-ui-concept/ http://www.shaunandrews.com/design-2/prototype-w/
When and where is your group communicating?
Not decided yet, but likely a mix of IRC (#wordpress-ui), and p2 (make/ui), with a pinch of Skype tossed in for flavor.
What has joined your group so far?
- RichardTape has expressed interest