|1||0.5 - 1|
|2||1 - 2|
|3||2 - 4|
|5||4 - 8|
|8||8 - 16|
|13||16 - 24|
|21||24 - 40|
|34||40 - 80|
List of one hundred partitive expressions containing a partitive + uncountable noun
- a torrent of abuse
- a piece of advice
- a fit of anger
- a work of art
- a rasher of bacon
- a glass of beer
Nouns that are Count and Noncount
- accommodation => uncountable: a place to live in or stay at; countable: an agreement between opposing people or organisations
- aid => uncountable: money or help given to those who need it; countable: something that helps you to do something
- air => uncountable: the mixture of gases surrounding the earth; countable: (old-fashioned) a tune or a melody
- art => uncountable: paintings, sculpture, drawings, etc.; countable: an activity that needs special training or knowledge
- ballet => uncountable: a style of dancing that tells a story; countable: a particular work of classical dance
- beauty => uncountable: the quality that makes someone or something beautiful; countable: a beautiful woman, or an excellent thing
Uncountable Nouns List
Note that this is NOT a complete list of all uncountable nouns. Note too that some of these uncountable nouns can also be countable; in this list we show only the uncountable meaning.
- access => the right to see or use something
- accommodation => a place to live in or stay at
- adulthood => the period of time when you're an adult
- advertising => the business of making companies and products well-known
- advice => suggestions about what someone should do
Time words from http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~inquirer/Time%40.html (yet, it's missing 5 words, given this was taken from archived version)
Word Tags & Definition
- ABRUPT => Neg Modif Time* Ngtv |
- ADVANCE#4 => LY Time* | 13% idiom-adv: "In advance"--before, beforehand
- AFTER#1 => PREP LY Time* PFREQ | 92% prep-adv: Later in time than, following, in pursuit or search of.
- AFTERNOON => Noun ABS TIME Time* | noun-adj: The time from noon until evening--part of day.
- AFTERWARD => Modif LY Time* | adverb: In later or subsequent time, subsequently.
- AGE#1 => Noun ABS TIME Time* | 79% noun-adj: Time period measured by length of existence, era; possessing a certain age (3)
This is a copy of saved version of http://www.marlodge.supanet.com/museum/funcword.html by John Higgins (email@example.com)
Function words in English
Linguists usually draw a distinction between content words, those words whose meaning is best described in a dictionary and which belong in open sets so that new ones can freely be added to the language, and function words, words with little inherent meaning but with important roles in the grammar of a language. Typically the content words are nouns, verbs, adjectives and some adverbs, while function words are pronouns, conjunctions, prepositions, auxiliary verbs, and some adverbs. The lists below were originally produced for the purpose of masking selected parts of speech in the text game ECLIPSE by John and Muriel Higgins.
Adverbs other than manner adverbs and omitting the funny legal ones.
AGAIN AGO ALMOST ALREADY ALSO ALWAYS ANYWHERE BACK ELSE EVEN EVER EVERYWHERE FAR HENCE HERE HITHER HOW HOWEVER NEAR NEARBY NEARLY NEVER NOT NOW NOWHERE OFTE
These links no longer work. Springer have pulled the free plug.
Graduate texts in mathematics
duplicates = multiple editions