I'm guessing you've had some problems with the other CloningEdisons instructions (https://gist.github.com/sxing/f02a4a1703b16803a7d4) if you're here. Sorry about that...
This is the path I take when things don't work out, usually related to a completely messed up data corruption that was my fault.
- Acquire a microSD card and an Edison breakout that has an microSD card slot, like the Arduino Expansion board. Make sure the microSD card is at least 4GBs in size.
- Make sure nothing that needs to be copied over is in your /home folder. This won't be copied over in the process.
- Follow these instructions to set up the Edison you want to clone to boot from USB: https://communities.intel.com/thread/61048
- Boot to the microSD card.
- Make a ext4 image that is the same size as your / partition. If you've already made an image, I recommend not recreating a new image and skip this step to save some time. This gets me pretty close in size without being larger: