Deploying Tags in Dokku
Dokku is an tiny open source PAAS. Pulling and tagging existing images isn't a directly supported feature inside Dokku, so you must use Docker to first pull a tag the image.
- Use Docker to login to Docker Hub if the repo isn't public
$ sudo docker -u <dockerhub_username>
Note: -p is only used when passing the password in line
- Pull the image from Docker Hub
$ sudo docker pull <organization/image_name>:<version_tag>
- Dokku manages containers assuming the organization (the prepended name before the
dokku. You need to prepend your images with
dokku/after pulling and remove the organization or replace the second
$ sudo docker tag <organization/image_name>:<version_tag> dokku/<organization>-<image_name>:<version_tag>
- Dokku works in an app paradigm, instead of containers. First Dokku step is to create the new app (if this is the first deploy):
$ sudo dokku apps:create <app_name>
Note: Do not use
/in the name of the app, use
-instead if required.
- Your Dokku tagged Docker images (from here on out, known as apps) should now be visible inside Dokku:
$ dokku tags <app_name>
- You should now be able to deploy you application based on the tag you would like deployed.
$ sudo dokku tags:deploy <app_name> <version_tag>
Gotcha: Listen ports are specified by the image, you can change these at the image level or via Dokku's proxy sub-command.