(THREAD) The more one researches the Trump-Flynn nexus, the more it's clear Trump promised Flynn a pardon in an illegal phone call in April.
- (1) Flynn met Trump in summer 2015. They were supposed to meet for 30 minutes—they met for 90 minutes. (NB: echoes of the Trump-Putin chat.)
- (2) Flynn told the Post that they spent the entire time talking about foreign policy, and that Flynn was very impressed with Trump's views.
- (3) Flynn's began advising Trump thereafter. At the time his views on Russia were very clear—he wanted America to seek a detente with Putin.
- (4) During Fall 2015 Trump expressed the same view, saying in October he'd get along well with Putin and he'd improve U.S.-Russia relations.
- (5) At the time, Flynn was receiving unreported income from Russian sources, per later media reports. Whether Trump knew this is unclear.
- (6) What's clear is that Putin believed Flynn to be acting as a Trump emissary when he invited him to a December 10th, 2015 RT celebration.
- (7) This is