(Unofficial) Discord server rules suggestions list
I'll start off with letting you know this is a fork from someone else. However, for some bizarre reason, this is the one everyone finds, so I better get round to updating this. Credit to Cristiano#2233 for the original idea.
Also, I've had a lot of people saying the rules are to strict. If you pick all the rules here, you're right, it would be very strict. However the rules below are guidelines! They are there for you to pick the ones you desire, you can ignore ones you don't want. Hopefully they might help with rules you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
I'm now also deleting messages that aren't actully feedback. Getting to many "This list is shit" from people who clearly haven't actully read it. Chances are those people also won't read this, but hey, what can you do. It's likely I'll shift this to a proper repo at some point just to get better control over the commenting.
You just had a great idea for a new Discord server and immediately created it but now you need not only to set up the channels and permissions but also to grind through the daunting task of coming up with a list of rules.
There are so many things to consider, so many possible ways that people could ruin your server, and you also wonder about how you can design your rules in such a way that the members will be able to enjoy their time on your server but also not go overboard.
Wouldn't it be so nice if there was a template or a list of rules that you could quickly copy, paste and tweak? Fear not, you just found it!
With this simple list—which I intend to keep updating as I find good ideas on more servers—you can get some inspiration for your own server rules. Feel free to copy and modify. No crediting is required.
It's also recomended not to create to large a list of rules, as it can be harder to keep users attention, and they'll navigate away before finishing. If you need a larger list, try to write in a style that'll keep their attention. Not easy I know, hence the recomendation to keep the list shorter whenever possible.
If you would like to suggest more items or recommend a server that has a good set of well-structured, well-thought-out rules, feel free to leave a comment below.
Note: Some of the rules may sound contradictory. That's because I just made a list of all the rules that I could come up with. Whether you keep or take out any of them is completely up to you.
Note 2: A lot of the text chat rules can be used for voice chats as well, so I didn't repeat them.
- Overhaul the below list.
- Link/Make guides for server administration and staff learning tools.
- Create some server templates to help people get into things and see how perms work.
General server rules
- No blank nicknames.
- No inappropriate nicknames.
- No sexually explicit nicknames.
- No offensive nicknames.
- No nicknames with unusual or unreadable Unicode.
- No blank profile pictures.
- No inappropriate profile pictures.
- No sexually explicit profile pictures.
- No offensive profile pictures.
- No membership granted to minors (under 18 years).
- Moderators reserve the right to change nicknames.
- Moderators reserve the right to use their own discretion regardless of any rule.
- No exploiting loopholes in the rules (please report them).
- No DMing other members of the server.
- Rules apply to DMing other members of the server.
- No inviting unofficial bots.
- No bugs, exploits, glitches, hacks, bugs, etc.
Text chat rules
- No questioning the mods.
- No @mentioning the mods.
- No asking to be granted roles/moderator roles.
- @mention the moderators for support.
- Contact the moderators under #channel for support.
- No @everyone/@here mentioning without permission.
- No @mentioning spam.
- No sexually explicit content.
- No pornographic content.
- No NSFW content.
- No illegal content.
- No piracy.
- No modding.
- No homebrew.
- No hacking.
- No publishing of personal information (including real names, addresses, emails, passwords, bank account and credit card information, etc.).
- No personal attacks.
- No witch hunting.
- No harassment.
- No sexism.
- No racism.
- No hate speech.
- No offensive language/cursing.
- No religious discussions.
- No political discussions.
- No sexual discussions.
- No flirting.
- No dating.
- No flaming.
- No flame wars.
- Agree to disagree.
- No trolling.
- No spamming.
- No excessive messaging (breaking up an idea in many posts instead of writing all out in just one post).
- No walls of text (either in separate posts or as a single post).
- No CAPS LOCK.
- No overusing emojis.
- No overusing reactions.
- No external emojis.
- Keep conversations in English.
- Use #channel for conversations in another/other language(s).
- Moderators reserve the right to delete any post.
- Moderators reserve the right to edit any post.
- No advertisement.
- No advertisement without permission.
- No links.
- No linking to other servers.
- No memes.
- No pictures.
- No gifs.
- No bot commands.
- Bot commands only under #channel.
- List of allowed bot commands:
- No channel hopping.
- No offtopic/use the right text channel for the topic you wish to discuss.
Voice chat rules
- No voice chat channel hopping.
- No annoying, loud or high pitch noises.
- Reduce the amount of background noise, if possible.
- Push to talk only.
- Moderators reserve the right to disconnect you from a voice channel if your sound quality is poor.
- Moderators reserve the right to disconnect, mute, deafen, or move members to and from voice channels.
Bot specific rules
- No command spam.
- No macros.
- No hacks.
- No adding/changing/removing commands.