My hopes for deployable artifacts:
- Packages would be able to just describe how the things they build should get laid out in a tarball.
- We would implement this as part of the build, it should be super fast (we might want to consider actually generating the tar directly for portability & control purposes).
- Packages could have control over the permissions inside the tar file (ideally without having to manipulate the permissions in the filesystem, problematic sometimes if root permission in the tar is desired).
- The mechanism would support knowing how to handle RPATH issues.
- The mechanism would know how to handle libswift* portability issues.
- The mechanism would know how to handle cross-Linux distro issues.
- Unlike below, I wouldn't expect the mechanism to handle the GIT REVISION stuff, that belongs in a separate proposal.
- The mechanism would support typical Unix-y things, like bin, lib, libexec, share.
- The mechanism could support vendored assets like other DSOs or frameworks that can't l