I'm in a hospital in Spain and my MacBook was stolen.
Now I bought a new one and need to configure it. I have an AirPort Time Capsule that backs up everything using Time Machine, but I don't want all the crap I had in the old one. So let's get our hands dirty!
1. Update OS to latest version
Make sure everything is up to date.
Xcode and its "Command Line Tools"2. Install
- Go to App Store and install Xcode.
- Open and accept the terms
- Then go to the terminal and install "Command Line Tools":
Notice this only works for Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9) and above. For earlier versions, continue to use the in-app download in Xcode.
3. Install Dotfiles
Visit my Dotfiles repo for instructions.
4. Install Softwares
Many softwares can be installed through homebrew-cask which makes the process way simpler:
curl -L https://gist.githubusercontent.com/zenorocha/7159780/raw/5b7eb6d32800c974a2c8f0afc6cadfbf5078f239/softwares.sh | sh
- Kaleidoscope for diff visualization
- iTerm for terminal client
- Mou for markdown editing
- Parallels for virtual machines
- Paw for API testing
- Source Tree for Git interactive commit
- Sublime Text 3 for code editing
- 1Password for password management
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 for image editing
- Alfred for workflow automation
- Dropbox for file syncing
- Evernote for notes
- LICEcap for GIF recording
- Bartender for menu bar organization
- iStat Menus for system monitoring
- Skype for international calls
- ScreenFlow for screencast recording
- Unarchiver for ZIP, RAR, etc
Unfortunately some apps aren't available through homebrew-cask, so you need to install it manually.
- CloudApp for file/link sharing
- Divvy for window management
- Keynote for presentations
- iA Write for notes
- TweetDeck for tweet scheduling
- Wunderlist for task managing
5. Generate SSH keys for GitHub
Visit GitHub's official guide for instructions.
From that point on you're going to be able to do some git operations with GitHub \o/
Chrome Canary as default browser6. Set
- Launch System Preferences
- General ➜ Default Web Browser
- Select “Chrome Canary” from the drop-down menu
Visit my Sublime Text preferences repo for instructions.
There you can find the whole list of plugins, preferences and snippets.
Alfred Workflows8. Install
Visit my Alfred workflow collection repo for instructions.
NPM user9. Set
npm adduser zenorocha