Creating an automatic strip map based on some geographic features and a chosen "spine." The approximate steps:
- Pick a LineString (e.g. the California coast) to straighten out.
- Simplify that LineString.
- Turn that simplified LineString into a set of zones, one per segment.
- Rotate/translate each zone to its destination position, anchoring it to the end of the previous segment and rotating it to match the desired angle (e.g. horizontal).
- Warp the contents of each zone to the resulting rectangle with a bilinear warp.